- Election Commission of India announces dates for Lok Sabha elections 2019, scheduled to be held in seven phases from April 11th to May 19th and results to be announced on May 23rd.
- With the announcement of Lok Sabha elections 2019, the Model Code of Conduct comes into effect laying down a list of dos and don’ts for the political parties and barring the government from announcing policy decisions.
- Supreme Court refers the politically sensitive Ram Janmabhoomi- Babri Masjid land dispute case for mediation by a panel headed by former apex court judge FMI Kalifulla.
- Per Liveability Index Report 2019, women across the world are still fighting for basic Human Rights with around 131 million girls still not in school and around 830 women across the world dying from preventable childbirth and other pregnancy-related causes.
- Iranian Human Rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh who defended protesters against the Islamic Republic’s mandatory headscarves for women has been convicted and faces years in prison on charges of ‘encouraging corruption and prostitution’.
- All 157 people including 149 passengers and 8 crew members on board Boeing 737 killed in Ethiopian airline plane crash en route to Nairobi from Addis Ababa.
- Anti-female Genital Mutilation (FGM)campaigner Nimco Ali to receive a Human Rights award at this year’s Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy per the announcement made on the eve of International Women’s Day.
- In a statement signed by 36 member nations of United Nations, Saudi Arabia admonished severely for “continuing arrests and arbitrary detentions of human rights defenders” and its use of counter terrorism laws to silence peaceful dissent.
- Addressing the 40th session of Human Rights Council in Geneva UN Deputy Secretary- General Amina Mohammed explains Human Rights as the key to sustainable development elucidating that “Human rights are the core of the 2030 Agenda, and sustainable development is a powerful vehicle for the realization of all Human Rights”.
- A United Nations Human Rights team to begin an official visit to Venezuela at the invitation of the Government, potentially paving the way for an official mission to Caracas by the UN’s top rights official Michelle Bachelet.
COLLATED BY: MS. SHRUTI SHREYA, STUDENT SYMBIOSIS LAW SCHOOL, NOIDA
Follow on :- https://www.linkedin.com/in/shruti-shreya-906908164/